Will Pay-By-Face Catch On?
Fingerprints are so old school. Apparently, in Finland you will soon be able to pay for your purchases in retail stores with nothing more than your face, smiles are optional.
According to reports, a startup called Uniqul has developed a system that uses facial recognition to enable shoppers to pay for purchases. The system uses a tablet at checkout which takes a photo of the customer’s face and retrieves account information after making the visual connection.
The company claims to use military grade security to protect consumer data and to process payments at speeds faster than conventional methods. To use the system, consumers pay a monthly subscription (€0.99) and register their preferred methods of payment.
- Uniqul /Machine Inspired by Magic – YouTube
- World’s first face recognition payment system – Uniqul
- Forget Credit Cards. In Finland, You Can Pay With Your Face – Fast Company
- Payment System Lets Shoppers Buy Groceries With Their Faces – psfk
- Uniqul Has Created A Facial Recognition Payment System – Pulse 2.0
- Finnish Company Develops Facial Recognition Payment System – Mashable
Where do you see the future of payment technology heading? Will systems using facial recognition technology be accepted in the U.S.?