The RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge: Pier 1 Imports vs. TJX Companies
The voters have been clear: Best Buy, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Target have racked up big margin victories for the first three weeks of the 2018 RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge. This week puts Pier 1 Imports up against TJX Companies and its corporate branding spots for HomeGoods, Marshalls and namesake banner.
Both companies have taken a similar approach in developing creative that spotlights product selection and prices that are tailored to meet their customers’ specific gifting needs.
Pier 1 Imports has kept its messaging short and sweet with 15-second spots that address what gifts to buy for people such as teacher aides, garbage collectors, mail delivery people, yoga instructors, et al.
TJX has, likewise, created its own series of 15-second spots to speak to its ability to find the right gifts for all the people on your Christmas list.
- Gifts for your garbageman – Pier 1 Imports/YouTube
- Gifts for your teacher’s aide – Pier 1 Imports/YouTube
- Gifts for your yoga teacher – Pier 1 Imports/YouTube
- Toys (TJX Holiday Campaign 2018) – YouTube
- Secret Santa Pick (TJX Holiday Campaign 2018) – YouTube
- Dating (TJX Holiday Campaign 2018) – YouTube
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: What is your critique of the Christmas campaigns from Pier 1 Imports and TJX Companies? Which retailer does a better job of connecting with its core customers while reaching out to new shoppers with its Christmas spots?