The North Face starts petition to make Earth Day a national holiday
The North Face last week launched a global petition to make April 22, Earth Day, an officially recognized holiday. Introduced on April 16, the petition on Change.org had gathered more than 100,000 signatures as of this morning.
Fifteen other eco-conscious brands are co-sponsoring the effort, including Clif Bar, S’well and National Geographic.
In its announcement, North Face also said it was activating “Explore Mode” in major cities leading up to Earth Day. Musicians, artists and culinary influencers hosted a series of experiences that would “only be accessible to those who put down their phones and digital devices to be present in the moment.”
The North Face is also shutting down its 113 stores in North America as well as its global headquarters on Earth Day to similarly provide opportunity for employees to disconnect. The retailer handed out Polaroid cameras in stores over the last few days to encourage people to “stay present and capture memories without the need for digital devices.”
The North Face joins Patagonia, Columbia and other outdoor brands in becoming increasingly vocal about environmental and social issues. Since 2015, REI has been closing its stores and doesn’t process online orders on Black Friday to encourage employees and others to enjoy the outdoors.
Source: The North Face
Earth Day is also becoming a bigger marketing day with brands such as Nike and H&M introducing eco-friendly collections this year and other campaigns being launched.
Among the in-store executions:
- Guitar Center is offering complimentary premium replacement strings for musicians who bring in their guitars for setup service over Earth Day weekend (April 20, 21 and 22);
- Natural Grocers on Earth Day will be offering a free recyclable bag and gift card giveaway;
- Best Buy this week is a running a “Colors Worth Earth Day” promotion on big-screen TVs as well as a deal for 40 percent off clearance and open-box items;
- Target from April 22 to May 4 is offering a 20-percent-off coupon on a new car seat, stroller or select baby gear as trade to anyone bringing in an old car seat to their local Target for recycling.
- Apple on Earth Day is holding environmentally-themed Today at Apple sessions at all stores.
- The North Face Launches a Global Effort to Make Earth Day a National Holiday – The North Face/PR Newswire
- Earth Day Should Be a National Holiday – Change.org
- Dear Earth, We’re Out Exploring – The North Face
- North Face wants to make Earth Day a national holiday – Fast Company
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: What advice would you give The North Face for building on its Earth Day campaign in the years ahead? Should retailers and brands support the movement to make Earth Day a national holiday and turn it into a bigger marketing event?