Ten tips to a stress-free, enjoyable and productive holiday
Through a special arrangement, presented here for discussion is a summary of a current article from Retail Contrarian, the blog of the Dynamic Experiences Group
The holidays can be wonderful and, from time to time, a bit trying. Here’s a list of tips and actions anyone working retail can use for a reasonably stress-free, enjoyable and productive holiday.
- Have fun! Challenge a colleague to a sales contest, or who can have the most add-ons in the next hour. Have fun with customers — and their children. Time goes faster when you’re having fun.
- Try to improve your performance from the day before. The little things don’t bother you as much when you’re striving to be better.
- Make an effort to leave work at work. A manager I knew always clapped her hands when she walked out the door at the end of a shift. It was her way of physically moving from work to personal life mode.
- Keep smiling. Giving smiles brings them back in return — or maybe people think you’re a little crazy, which may be true on some days and can be fun too.
- Skip the busy food court and bring something special for lunch or dinner. Plan meals for the entire week.
- Never be so busy that you don’t take a moment to know your customer a bit better or do something a little extra special for him/her. It will increase your average sale, and that will improve your attitude.
- Keep conversations with your co-workers positive and upbeat.
- Ask to take five minutes off the floor when you get that crazy and overwhelmed feeling. Even better, suggest a five-minute breather to a co-worker who clearly needs it.
- Watch for overwhelmed customers. To a customer who needs something in particular and doesn’t know where to find it, your busy store can look like pure chaos.
- Focus on the spirit of the holiday. Throw some money into the red bucket. Watch the kids visiting Santa. Step outside and watch the shoppers.
- Go above and beyond for every customer. (Get it? #11!) Karma is a wonderful thing, and holiday karma is the best.
- For the staff: 25 Tips to a stress-free, enjoyable and productive holiday – Retail Contrarian
Discussion questions: Which of the tips listed in the article would you most emphasize if you were managing retail workers during the holidays? Which are most important for creating better experiences for holiday-stressed customers?