Lee Scott’s 10 Steps to Leadership Success
Scott, the former chief executive of Wal-Mart Stores, spoke to a group
of honorees at the Northwest Arkansas Business Journal‘s 40
Under 40 event and offered his personal list of 10 steps needed to succeed:
- Hiring people better than yourself
will make it easier to achieve success.
- Reigning in ego because it is an impediment
- Tell people what you want and you will
often receive it.
- Give others honest constructive feedback.
- Remember few people feel as though
they have a handle of things.
- What is heard and how it is heard is
more important than what you say.
- You can be wrong about things you feel
- Harsh critics may be saying the very
things you need to hear.
- Don’t look to share praise, give it
all away to others.
- Integrity is the most important thing.
Questions: What do you think of Lee Scott’s advice on becoming a better leader? Are there any you would add?