Elliott & Company Shares Secrets of Success
By George Anderson
What is the difference between successful retail operations and those that fall by the wayside?
The 2005 Canadian Gift and Tablewares Association’s (CGTA) Retailer of the Year, Elliott & Company, would tell you it is customer loyalty.
The lifestyle store founded in 1987 by Mark and Krys Elliott and located in St. Catherines, Ontario has a check list for making its customers feel at home with the retailer.
- Greet customers with a smile when they come into the store.
- Get to know your customers personally. Find out what they like and dislike so that you can better serve them.
- Give customers space. Offer help but don’t follow them around the store.
- Inform and educate consumers on new products rather than trying to sell them.
- Offer free wrapping on every purchase.
- Stand behind products and accept returns, no questions asked.
- Deliver oversized merchandise locally for free.
- Thank customers for shopping with you with words and additional customized services for free or at a generous discount.
Moderator’s Comment: Do you think there are lessons for other retailers in Elliott & Company’s list for winning customer loyalty? What is your list
for winning customer loyalty? –
George Anderson – Moderator
- 2005 CGTA Retailer of the Year Confirms Customer Service
is Key in Retail Success – Gifts and Tablewares