Duane Reade Opens ‘Most Exciting Drugstore in the World’
Things are different on Wall Street than they are on Main Street. Understanding that, it makes sense that a drugstore serving the financial district in downtown Manhattan would be different than what you find it other places. That’s where Duane Reade comes in.
The division of Walgreens is opening a new 22,000 square-foot flagship store today at 40 Wall Street, a historic building that at one time was the tallest building in the world.
According to The New York Times, Joe Magnacca, president of Duane Reade, said, “We believe it’s the most exciting drugstore in the world.”
The new location comes with a variety of departments and services not found in a typical Duane Reade including:
- A “Virtual Assistant” that utilizes holographic imaging to create the illusion of a real person who introduces consumers to all that the store has to offer;
- “Doctor On Premises,” an in-store clinic staffed by MDs;
- An expanded beauty department with a LOOK Boutique offering before/after virtual makeovers;
- Hair salons and nail salons;
- Shoe shine;
- Fresh food market including organic fruits and veggies, sandwiches, salads;
- Juice and smoothie bar;
- Starbucks coffee and bakery counter;
- Coca-Cola Freestyle fountain that dispenses 130 types of beverages;
- 20-foot official NYSE in-store ticker.
“The fresh and healthy food offerings will be un-paralleled within the drugstore industry,” said Paul Tiberio, senior vice president of merchandising & chief marketing officer for Duane Reade, in a press release. “As our customers shop across fewer retailers, we have positioned 40 Wall Street to best service the ‘need-it-now’ trips of the area’s growing residential and professional populations, offering an ‘up market’ fresh food proposition and their one-stop shop solution.”
- Duane Reade to Debut New Flagship Store at Iconic 40 Wall Street Building – Duane Reade/PRNewswire
- At Duane Reade’s Newest Outpost, Sushi and Hairstyling – The New York Times
Discussion Questions: What is your reaction to the new Duane Reade flagship store? Is this a format that could be successful in other locations or is it strictly a Wall Street store?