Do Carolinians have Wegmans on their minds?
Wegmans and the “reverence and devotion” of its legions of fans (Sometimes known as Wegmaniacs) has been compared in the past to a cult. The family-owned chain’s fanatical following hasn’t diminished one bit as it has opened stores far from its Rochester, NY home.
On Sunday, Wegmans opened its first store in North Carolina (100th overall) and the crowds, according to the chain, were record-breaking.
Nearly 3,000 were lined up outside before the store in Raleigh before it opened at 7:00 a.m. The line to get into the 104,000-square-foot store began forming at 7:00 the night before.
When all was said and done, more than 30,000 people visited Wegmans on its grand opening day.
“We knew there was a lot of excitement, but the outpouring we saw yesterday was beyond anything we could’ve hoped for,” Hallie Johnston, the store’s manager, told WTVD. “From the bottom of our hearts, we want to thank everyone who made our first day in North Carolina so special. We’re incredibly proud to be here.”
- Take a look inside the new Wegmans opening in Raleigh on Sunday – The News & Observer/YouTube
- Nearly 3,000 line up for Wegmans opening in North Carolina – WHEC
- NC’s first Wegmans breaks records for the grocery store chain – WTVD
- The Cult of Wegmans – RetailWire
- What makes consumers so loyal to Publix, Wegmans, Trader Joe’s and H-E-B? – RetailWire
- Survey says Wegmans is America’s favorite grocer – RetailWire
- Retweet If You’re a Wegmaniac – RetailWire
- High Schoolers Sing Wegmans Praises – RetailWire
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: What accounts for Wegmans popularity with consumers in the markets it serves? How has Wegmans been able to maintain or grow its popularity as it adds more stores in new markets?