Walgreens Launches Bi-Annual Healthy Living Magazine
Walgreens announced the launch of "Happy And Healthy, Your Guide To Living Well With Walgreens," a bi-annual magazine focusing on healthy living tips, relevant offers and Balance Rewards loyalty program promotions. The book will also showcase its private brands.
Debuting Nov. 4 in English and Spanish, the premiere edition with country star Taylor Swift on the cover is holiday-themed and includes entertainment and gift ideas. Each issue is divided into three sections: Health and Wellness, Food and Beverage, and Beauty.
Highlights from the glossy, 28-page, Fall/Winter edition include:
- Dr. Oz Healthy Holiday Travel Tips
- Ask Your Pharmacist – Answers For Cough/Cold/Flu season
- Diabetes Management Including Paula Deen’s Cooking Tips
- Introducing Ology
- Taylor Swift’s Perfect Christmas
- Stocking Stuffers, Holiday Gifts and Entertaining Essentials
- Beauty Advice Including An Interview With Halle Berry
The magazine will be inserted into Sunday newspapers and be available in-stores nationwide. An electronic version can be viewed online at Walgreens.com, and the total circulation is expected to reach approximately 65 million.
Mediapost noted that CVS in 2008 launched Great Healthy Magazine, a monthly distributed exclusively to CVS’ top ExtraCare card members nationwide. The magazine, produced by Basic Media Group, carries advertising for both pharma and over-the-counter products.
In another approach, Whole Foods Markets in March 2012 launched Dark Rye, an online magazine that explores food, art, health and sustainable living through storytelling to promote the cultural ideologies of Whole Foods.
In an interview with Smart Planet, Jacob Ellenberg, a co-founder of Dark Rye, said that while traditional advertising approaches are still viable for many stores, "there is something unique happening now — an awakening occurring in terms of the role of corporations in society and their ability to give something back to the communities in which they operate."
He adds, "We’re not selling potatoes. We’re not selling a particular product. We’re holding up the lifestyle that we value and putting our cultural values into something that is emotionally evocative and compelling."
- Walgreens Launches Happy And Healthy, Your Guide To Living Well With Walgreens – Walgreens
- Walgreens’ Happy and Healthy magazine is part of a wide-ranging transformation – Chicago Business Journal
- About Great Health – CVS
- Walgreens Launches Happy and Healthy Magazine – Walgreens
- Q&A: Is Whole Foods Market spearheading a new form of advertising? – Smarter Planet
- Taste life with new online magazine, Dark Rye – Whole Foods Market
Does the health & wellness trend demand a greater level of communication from retailers through magazines, blogs and other media? Should the messages spread beyond health to sustainability, inspiration and cultural values?