Oatmeal Brand Pays to Become ‘Choice of a New Generation’
This is serious stuff, but I have to admit getting a giggle out of it. So, let me break it down as succinctly as possible.
- Quaker Oats, a division of Pepsico, is the brand leader in the oatmeal category.
- MOM Brands, formerly Malt-O-Meal, has rolled out a line of new instant oatmeal under the Better Oats brand. By various accounts, the line has somewhere between and one and four percent share of the category.
- Better Oats, in a search of slogans to raise its profile (and sales) in the marketplace, found that it could purchase “Choice of a New Generation,” a message made famous by Pepsi back in the 1980s.
- Pepsico let its rights to the slogan lapse in 2006 and didn’t take legal steps to prevent MOM Brands from using it when it made a bid in 2009.
- A number of articles have been written about the irony in a rival to a Pepsico business using a Pepsi slogan to compete against it.
As a Pioneer Press article pointed out, Better Oats is making much different use of the slogan than Pepsi did back in the 1980s. Where Pepsi ran spots starring Michael Jackson singing and doing the moon walk, the Better Oats commercials include a man in pajamas doing his own “song-and-dance tribute” to the oatmeal line.
“We’re launching this campaign without a fancy ad agency, celebrity spokesperson, or big advertising budget. We’re crowdsourcing video content and are placing it online and on YouTube. We’re getting word-of-mouth exposure through social media,” said Linda Fisher, corporate communications manager for MOM Brands, in a press release. “Our Better Oats brand is bringing new, younger and more affluent consumers to the instant oatmeal category, and that trend, coupled with our non-traditional campaign, is why ‘Choice of a New Generation’ tagline is such a good fit.”
- Better Oats 23 Flavor Celebration – YouTube
- Better Oats Repurposes “Choice of a New Generation” Tagline for Use in New Marketing Campaign – MOM Brands/BusinessWire
- The Choice of a New Generation – MOM Brands
- Malt-O-Meal rolls out new cereal with old ad slogan – Pioneer Press
- Decades After Pepsi, MOM Is ‘Choice of a New Generation’ – Advertising Age
Discussion Questions: What do you think of MOM Brands’ use of the “New Generation” slogan? Have you ever heard of something similar happening in consumer marketing? What should retailers be doing to build on the buzz created around Better Oats?