The RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge Goes Global – The Finals

Thirteen spots from retailers outside of the U.S. have been served up for your review over the past month. Now it’s time to pick the winner of year one of the RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge.

The previous weeks’ winners were:

• “Mog’s Christmas Calamity” from Sainsbury’s;
  • “Adventures in Christmas” from Marks & Spencer;
  • “The Lidl School of Christmas” from Lidl;
  • “What Makes Your Christmas” from Waitrose; and
  • “Jingle Bells” from The Body Shop.

Which spot will be the winner? Cast your vote in our Instant Poll and we’ll see.

Mog’s Christmas Calamity – Sainsbury’s/YouTube

Adventures in Christmas – Marks & Spencer/YouTube

https://youtu.be/KWVO_VDd2_8

The Lidl School of Christmas – Lidl/YouTube

What Makes Your Christmas – Waitrose/YouTube

Jingle Bells – The Body Shop

BrainTrust

"My pick is Jingle Bells from The Body Shop. Let you know what the brand was at the outset, showed happy people using their products, utilized a well-known Christmas song and humor. Closed with a charity tie-in."

Steve Montgomery

President, b2b Solutions, LLC

"This is a pretty impressive batch of adverts. As a bit of cinema for grown-ups, the Body Shop is my top pick."

James Tenser

Retail Tech Marketing Strategist | B2B Expert Storytelling™ Guru | President, VSN Media LLC

"The Body Shop hits it on all cylinders! "Mog’s Christmas Calamity" is a real no-no. Playing with fire, literally, is a terrible take on a serious subject."

Naomi K. Shapiro

Strategic Market Communications, Upstream Commerce

Discussion Questions

What is your critique of the commercials that have made it to the finals of the global version of the RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge? Which one do you think is the best?

Poll

10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dr. Stephen Needel
Dr. Stephen Needel
8 years ago

Love the Body Shop ad!

Steve Montgomery
Steve Montgomery
8 years ago

My pick is Jingle Bells from The Body Shop. Let you know what the brand was at the outset, showed happy people using their products, utilized a well-known Christmas song and humor. Closed with a charity tie-in.

Max Goldberg
Max Goldberg
8 years ago

The Body Shop wins. Their spot is true to the core story of the brand, and they do it with good humor and a donation to a cause.

Mohamed Amer
Mohamed Amer
8 years ago

I’ll double down on my earlier vote: The Body Shop!

Camille P. Schuster, Ph.D.
Camille P. Schuster, Ph.D.
8 years ago

Marks and Spencer — highlighting the good reinforces the brand.

Li McClelland
Li McClelland
8 years ago

The Body Shop gets my final vote. But the so-perfectly-British Lidl School of Christmas ad really tickles my fancy, too.

Steve Abramson
Steve Abramson
8 years ago

“Mog’s Christmas Calamity” is creative and in the spirit of Christmas! Great job!!!

James Tenser
James Tenser
8 years ago

This is a pretty impressive batch of adverts. As a bit of cinema for grown-ups, the Body Shop is my top pick. Marx & Spencer succeeds best at elevating food visuals to an unattainable luscious level. But I think the Waitrose ad succeeds best at encouraging consumption while upholding the holiday spirit.

Naomi K. Shapiro
Naomi K. Shapiro
8 years ago

The Body Shop hits it on all cylinders!

“Mog’s Christmas Calamity” is a real no-no. Playing with fire, literally, is a terrible take on a serious subject. Presenting a calamity is a no-starter, unsalvaged by the end result of neighbors coming together.

The others: Delightful and foodworthy. Great music, images, and concepts.

PS: Are Brussels sprouts (in at least two of the commercials) a holiday special in the UK?

Lee Kent
Lee Kent
8 years ago

All of these are excellent. I especially loved the yummy food depicted in Marks & Spencer as well as Waitrose. They were both true to their brands and reminded us not to make food an after-thought. Plus the food was sooo well done, visually.

But, the big winner was … The Body Shop! The spot was fresh, fun, true to the brand and yes, “cheeky.” That is what made it great!

And that’s my 2 cents.