The RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge: Petco vs. Walgreens

This week’s competition goes to the dogs with two distinctly different spots from Petco and Walgreens. Which chain will join our previous week’s winners — Macy’s, T.J. Maxx, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble and Big Lots — in the finals?

[Image: Petco]
Last Minute Holiday Gifts – Petco/YouTube

[Image: Walgreens]
Give Unexpected Joy this Holiday – Walgreens/YouTube

BrainTrust

"I like the Petco spot. Its use of humor conveys the spirit of the holidays in an unexpected way. And it taps into consumers’ love of pets. The Walgreens spot is also quite good, but this round goes to Petco."

Max Goldberg

President, Max Goldberg & Associates

"I found Walgreens produced a positive feel and and Petco’s had a negative feel. Walgreens is my winner."

W. Frank Dell II

President, Dellmart & Company

"I liked Petco! What can be better than an unexpected turnaround from a disappointed kid to the usual portrayal of parents without a clue and a dog trick all in 30 seconds!"

J. Peter Deeb

Managing Partner, Deeb MacDonald & Associates, L.L.C.

Discussion Questions

What is your critique of Petco’s “Last Minute Holiday Gifts” and “Give Unexpected Joy This Holiday Season” from Walgreens? Which spot do you think does a better job of connecting with the chain’s core customer base while also reaching out to prospective shoppers?

Poll

11 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Max Goldberg
Max Goldberg
8 years ago

I like the Petco spot. Its use of humor conveys the spirit of the holidays in an unexpected way. And it taps into consumers’ love of pets. The Walgreens spot is also quite good, but this round goes to Petco.

W. Frank Dell II, CMC
W. Frank Dell II, CMC
8 years ago

I found Walgreens produced a positive feel and and Petco’s had a negative feel. Walgreens is my winner.

J. Peter Deeb
J. Peter Deeb
8 years ago

I liked Petco! What can be better than an unexpected turnaround from a disappointed kid to the usual portrayal of parents without a clue and a dog trick all in 30 seconds!

Dave Wendland
Dave Wendland
8 years ago

Both spots were very well done. I would favor Petco for their terrific use of imagination and good feelings. Although, I must admit, if a dog could truly shop, Walgreens may be where they would buy gifts (maybe that’s why their nickname is “Wags”).

Li McClelland
Li McClelland
8 years ago

Both were very entertaining.

The Petco ad left me happy for the dog and kid. I loved the clever twist on the riff about “teaching old dogs new tricks.” But in the end it seemed to make shopping at Petco for a pet treat all the less important since it pointed out that both dogs and kids will make, do and find fun in whatever is around and available.

I liked the simplicity of the Walgreens message about giving and how it pointed out the nice variety of last-minute gifts Walgreens carries as well as highlighting its accommodating staff. But hey, does that pooch have his own credit card?

Between the two it’s a tough choice. But despite its flaws I voted for Petco.

Lee Kent
Lee Kent
8 years ago

Archie was a pretty lame ad however it did remind us to buy gifts for our pets. That is true to the brand and, of course, any Golden is adorable, my Nicklaus at the top of the pack. 😉

The Walgreens ad made no sense. It showed us their flier and how it might help with picking a gift, but for the dog to do the buying? That was just done for the “cute” effect. It had no real value.

My 2 cents? Archie, at Petco.

Lee Peterson
Lee Peterson
8 years ago

Petco is the hands down winner. Much more subtle in terms of the old “dog-as-human” gag (which made it funnier), but also well done on the look we’ve all had when your child asks you what you got your pet. Yikes.

Carlos Arámbula
Carlos Arámbula
8 years ago

Petco does a terrific job in connecting with a target audience that treat the family pet as another member of the family with anthropomorphic qualities. The commercial delivers the message in a fresh, memorable manner that will encourage new customers to visit the store in order to make their pets join in the holiday celebrations.

Naomi K. Shapiro
Naomi K. Shapiro
8 years ago

I thought Petco would win in a stretch, considering its assumed relationship to animals. But I found the Petco commercial to be rather sad, even though it ends with a big laugh; but I think it ultimately misses the mark with customers and prospects.

I thought the Walgreen’s dog had a leg up on the Petco dog. Charming, delightful music and atmosphere, and a real message — get great things at Walgreens, with examples and upbeat tone, reaching core customers and prospective shoppers.

Karen McNeely
Karen McNeely
8 years ago

I thought the Walgreens spot was more heartwarming; I definitely liked it better. It also did a better job of brand identification. I do have to admit that the dog on the pogo stick did make me chuckle.

Geoff Ingall
Geoff Ingall
8 years ago

Petco. Quite a good sight gag, but a bit wooden and poor branding. Walgreens, better branding, but lacks warmth.