Will peace on Fifth Avenue give Microsoft an edge over Apple?

The rivalry between Apple and Microsoft is as old as the companies themselves and it has not always been friendly. That’s what makes Microsoft’s new "spirit of the season" commercial so refreshing.

Top Omnichannel Problems - AND HOW TO SOLVE THEM

The spot, which featured a chorus of specially-selected Microsoft employees along with members of a Harlem youth choir, walked from the new Microsoft Store in Manhattan to the iconic Apple Store location on Fifth Avenue. There outside, the group serenaded those in the area and employees of the Apple Store with their version of "Let There Be Peace on Earth."

An Adweek article called the event "surprisingly relevant — a small gesture of peace by corporations that usually prefer relentless fighting." It’s true that the rivalry between the two companies goes back to their very beginnings with the complicated relationship between Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as part of tech industry lore.

Over the years, the companies have gone back and forth, even taking swipes at each other’s products through commercials such as Apple’s Mac vs. PC campaign and Microsoft’s Cortana vs. Siri Groundhog Day spot.

[Image: Microsoft]

BrainTrust

"Does the average consumer think that there’s a kind of demilitarized zone between the Apple Store and the Microsoft Store? Any message of love is welcome during the holidays, even this vaguely dumb one."

Cathy Hotka

Principal, Cathy Hotka & Associates

Discussion Questions

Do you think comparative ads are effective or ineffective? What is your critique of Microsoft’s new “spirit of the season” commercial? Will Microsoft and/or Apple derive any business benefit from the spot?

Poll

16 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Gene Detroyer
Gene Detroyer
8 years ago

Nice ad. I love the song. It has always stirred my insides. But its effect on business? None.

Outright competition makes both parties better.

Cathy Hotka
Cathy Hotka
8 years ago

Does the average consumer think that there’s a kind of demilitarized zone between the Apple Store and the Microsoft Store? Any message of love is welcome during the holidays, even this vaguely dumb one.

Max Goldberg
Max Goldberg
8 years ago

This is a very touching spot that will have little impact on either Microsoft or Apple. It does a great job of reflecting on the spirit of the season, but will this new spirit remain in the long run? I highly doubt it. Nevertheless, it’s good to have a break from the Microsoft vs. Apple TV campaigns, regardless of how clever they are.

Bob Phibbs
Bob Phibbs
8 years ago

The point of the holidays is to promote harmony. Very smart.

As I wrote this morning in Should You Say Merry Christmas in Your Retail Store? you want to cast as big a net as possible to get customers to feel included.

Will the ad change the world? No. Will it be remembered weeks later? Probably not. But it does spread hope — and there’s nothing wrong with that no matter how you look at it.

Tom Redd
Tom Redd
8 years ago

Microsoft’s ad will send a solid message that there are things more important than the personal platform you use, over-marketed Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. The ad says, for a minute put your dang phone or iPad or Surface down and listen to real humans. Step outside your internet world and think on your own. Let’s have a little peace and quit arguing over which 32- or 64-bit tool is going to own our lives.

Steve Montgomery
Steve Montgomery
8 years ago

Points of differentiation are what drive consumer choice. How dull would the world be if there was only one flavor of ice cream? Competitive advertising communicates (or should) those points to the public. Done properly they can be very effective.

The Microsoft ad would strictly be a “let’s feel good about ourselves” ad if it hadn’t at least opened with some product shots. This will have no impact on consumers’ perception or sales of either company’s product.

Gajendra Ratnavel
Gajendra Ratnavel
8 years ago

This is pretty awesome! I think it’s a great “spirit of the season” type ad. Also surprised it was Microsoft that initiated it rather than Apple. I am sure there will be something great in response from Apple. This is very effective and helps PR for Microsoft. Rogers and Bell, two telecommunication giants in Canada (and competitors), used to do this a lot. I have not seen it recently since the new CEO took over for Rogers.

Peter J. Charness
Peter J. Charness
8 years ago

If only our politicians could learn from this kind of success. Even in the midst of World War I, Christmas caused a temporary truce. Wouldn’t that be a great gift from D.C.

Bill Hanifin
Bill Hanifin
8 years ago

It is encouraging to see a heartwarming ad of this type as the world continues to churn with turmoil. The message reminds us of the relevance of the holiday season and so maybe some “feel good” points accrue to Microsoft.

Beyond that, I don’t think the ad will influence consumer buying decisions, for example whether a consumer opts for the new Surface 4 or iPad Pro. With that in mind, could these ad dollars have been spent with an actual ROI in mind?

Robert Heiblim
Robert Heiblim
8 years ago

My short answer is no. Perhaps I am a cynical New Yorker but this looks quite gratuitous to me, and makes no case at all for Microsoft products. Yes, it is sweet in some ways, though I doubt any of these employees volunteered to do this out of holiday cheer. Microsoft still needs to prove out its product value and while there are a lot of positives for them, they still have work to do and this is not part of it.

Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly
8 years ago

Effective for Microsoft as it creeps into Apple’s spotlight. But will anyone buy Windows over iOS? Puh-lease! This effort is akin to REI declaring it was closed on Friday. Cheeky. Is Bill Gates cackling as Jobs rolls in his grave?

As Marley rattled his chains, Scrooge distinctly heard, “retail ain’t for sissies!”

Ed Rosenbaum
Ed Rosenbaum
8 years ago

Excellent piece. But does it change anything? No. Let there be peaceful competition. That makes both better.

Ralph Jacobson
Ralph Jacobson
8 years ago

I will never tire of being optimistic, regardless of how rosy my glasses become. Goodwill toward humans and peace be with us all. Goodwill is priceless for retailers, and this ad can’t hurt.

Lee Peterson
Lee Peterson
8 years ago

A clear sign of weakness. Bet you won’t see Apple doing that.

Ok, time for an old Sam Walton quote (as told to me by an ex long time employee); Sam purportedly once said, “When you see your competition over there drowning, don’t throw them a life-line! Go stick a hose down their throat!”

Ahhhh, American retail at its finest.

Naomi K. Shapiro
Naomi K. Shapiro
8 years ago

Are comparative ads effective or ineffective? Depends.

My critique of Microsoft’s spirit of the season commercial? Nice song, Nice singing.

Will Microsoft/Apple derive any business benefit from the spot? No.

Lee Kent
Lee Kent
8 years ago

Absolutely loved it! Best Holiday ad I’ve seen!

Do I suggest that others follow this example? Maybe not so much. This is not something that works when done over and over. Just sayin’.

For my 2 cents.