Retailers are bringing the love on Valentine’s Day

Beyond the pink cutout hearts on windows, some chains are taking extra steps for Valentine’s Day to encourage intimate engagement among its customers.

In a partnership with Match.com, Starbucks is inviting customers on Feb. 13 to join the "World’s Largest Starbucks Date." Using the "Meet at Starbucks" feature, Match.com members can send an e-mail to someone they might like and simultaneously locate a Starbucks location for a date. According to Match.com, more than one in three singles said that having coffee together is a favorite activity for a first date.

"We’re a place where people come together to share important life moments — big and small," said Sharon Rothstein, Starbucks’ global chief marketing officer.

Qdoba is bringing back its buy-one-get one for a kiss campaign. Guests who order a Smothered Burrito on Valentine’s Day and "share a smooch" with a loved one, friend, "or even a willing stranger" earn the second burrito on the same visit for free. David Craven, Qdoba’s VP of brand marketing, said, "Smothered for a Smooch is meant to be fun and a bit over-the-top, and both our guests and our team members have a lot of fun sharing the love at this event."

In a somewhat similar vein, McDonald’s has been running a Pay with Lovin’ campaign that began Feb. 2 and ends on Valentine’s Day. On a random basis, cashiers have been letting customers pay for their meal by making a call to a loved one, offering a compliment to a friend or family member, undergoing a "family hug," making a friendly fist bump with the crew member, or some other action.

[Image: Pay With Lovin]

Said Deborah Wahl, chief marketing officer for McDonald’s USA: "We’re on a journey to change the relationship and conversation and Pay with Lovin’ is a direct way for us to engage with our customers."

Food for thought, however, is new research from consumer psychologist Lisa Cavanaugh, assistant professor at the USC Marshall School of Business, that revealed how the practice of highlighting relationships in advertising and promotions can have negative consequences for sales and consumers’ willingness to indulge themselves.

"Many consumers don’t have those relationships," said Ms. Cavanaugh. "By reminding people of relationships they don’t have, marketers inadvertently make consumers feel undeserving — less worthy of treating and rewarding themselves."

starbucks qdoba valentine

BrainTrust

Discussion Questions

What do you think of campaigns that call for personal interactions with others? Which is of three campaigns do think works best? Would you be concerned about turning off customers who currently do not have love relationships?

Poll

10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Max Goldberg
Max Goldberg
9 years ago

While all three campaigns involve human interaction, they are quite different. McDonald’s has been extensively advertised and patrons are not guaranteed that their purchase will be paid for with love. The Starbucks campaign is for singles. Qdoba is for anyone with a hearty appetite. All three are fun. I would not worry about turning off customers who are not in relationships. Have we become so politically correct that sharing some love is not acceptable?

Roger Saunders
Roger Saunders
9 years ago

Love is a practiced human emotion. Some unfortunate souls haven’t had the life experiences to bring out and include that emotion often enough in their lives.

That shouldn’t prevent marketers from introducing one of life’s essential emotions to their marketing plans. McDonald’s, Qdoba and Starbucks are all making a logical move, especially around dates such as Valentine’s Day. Each of these retailers are engaging their associates in the time/experience—that in itself is a win for them.

Don’t over-think the few customers who can’t be bothered with the efforts. Keep spreading the love.

Ryan Mathews
Ryan Mathews
9 years ago

Who wouldn’t kiss a stranger for a smothered burrito?

And what says true love better than a poly-bagged brownie of indeterminate age and a 137.6 degree latte with soy milk and eight shots of caramel?

Finally, a fist bump for a Happy Meal—come on, it’s a no brainer!

I guess in a society marketers keep trying to treat as though it were a mass market of sheep these things may be great but a.) if you are in love these programs are ham-handed at best and b.) if you aren’t, well, you might get kissed by a starving stranger.

I prefer the CVS approach which—based on the merchandising I see in the store in my neighborhood—has combined Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day and Easter into one merchandising event.

Kiss me I’m Irish and I love to feed three-month-old candy to bunnies in recognition of true love and religious commitment?

Susan Fuller-Sutherland
Susan Fuller-Sutherland
9 years ago

I love the McDonald’s campaign and tear up every time I watch this. I find it difficult to believe that anyone has NO loving relationships in their lives, no parents, no siblings, no friends? If those are truly the circumstance of an individual, I think that marketing campaigns are pretty much the least of their worries.

Marketing is by its nature designed to appeal to the broadest swath of the population. We are looking for more customers, not unique customers. Trying to navigate a minefield that can accommodate every nuance of humanity is just plain silly.

Mark Burr
Mark Burr
9 years ago

“We’re a place where people come together to share important life moments big and small,” said Sharon Rothstein, Starbucks’s global chief marketing officer.

Sharon knows Starbucks’s customer. I’m not sure McDonald’s has that same knowledge or commitment to theirs, but the campaign isn’t bad. Starbucks is a destination to meet and they know it. They made it that way.

I wouldn’t be concerned a bit—not whatsoever—about turning off customers who currently don’t have relationships. Relationships are at the core of being human no matter how technology may interfere with that.

Ms. Cavanaugh just may want to come out to Starbucks today and be reminded life is not quite as depressing as it must be at USC. Marketing is not intended for the extreme exception, it is for the masses.

Lee Kent
Lee Kent
9 years ago

There is no such thing as “one” perfect customer. I.e. “one” persona of your perfect customer. There are many and it is up to the retailer to know and address them. That is why it is called market-ing with the ing implying that it is ongoing. One size doesn’t fit them all.

That’s 2 cents worth.

Christina Ellwood
Christina Ellwood
9 years ago

Personal interactions are a great way to connect emotion to the brand experience. Whether “fun,” “love,” or “sweet moment,” they are powerful—even for bystanders and friends/family that hear the story later. Vicarious enjoyment has power, too. People without relationships aspire to have them and the “enlist a stranger” or “bump with an employee” opens the door for the moment to happen for anyone. No campaign is for everyone so it’s fruitless to try to be all things to all people. I think these campaigns humanize the brand and create memorable moments that last long after the interaction.

Gajendra Ratnavel
Gajendra Ratnavel
9 years ago

Perhaps it puts a few people in awkward situations but for the most part it is appreciated. However, whatever the case, the exposure in the media and viral potential makes these campaigns worth the effort and resources.

Dan Frechtling
Dan Frechtling
9 years ago

Brands that thrive on relationships will do well with campaigns that encourage togetherness.

Where do they work best? Starbucks stands above the others with these kinds of campaigns because it is a chain built on bonds. Patrons meet friends, build friendships and even get friendly with baristas.

McDonald’s is more of a functional destination. It is wise to let cashiers choose to whom to offer the reward—and avoid sullen solo singles.

As for the research from USC Marshall School defending the unloved, the simple remedy is to avoid overly romantic overtones. Common sense dictates J. Crew simply should not send January email blasts with the subject line, “Just Got Engaged?”

Kai Clarke
Kai Clarke
9 years ago

These are great! They are still unique, memorable, and create a different environment for the retailer, on a special day. I love the BOGO campaign of Qdoba. It offers value, and clearly defines what is required without wondering if it is going to happen at all (McDonald’s).