Uniqlo ‘Selfless Selfie Project’ inspires holiday giving

Through a special arrangement, presented here for discussion is a summary of a current article from the Retail TouchPoints website.

Playing against the selfishness often noted around the "selfie" smartphone photo, Uniqlo has launched the Uniqlo Selfless Selfie Project, an interactive global campaign created to inspire good deeds during the holidays.

Consumers are encouraged to take a selfie that promotes giving back. For example, they can publish images of themselves working with their local community or sharing a pledge about a friend or family member. Uniqlo states, "Make it unique, interesting and not just about you. Show us how you’ll do a little good to make everyday life a little better."

They’re then encouraged to, "Pledge your selfie to doing some everyday good. For whatever or whomever you want. Donate to a favorite cause, visit your grandmother, or be nice to a stranger, every day."

Participants then upload their images and pledge to social media using the #3DSelfie hash tag for a chance to make their very own 3D Selfie — a 6-inch replica of themselves — in-store at one of five global Uniqlo locations. The Japanese chain partnered with DOOB, a provider of 3D technology products and services, to install the 3D photo booth and printing technology at its flagships for the exhibition.

Selfless Selfie

Up to 150 winners will be selected to have their 3D selfies become part of Uniqlo’s in-store holiday marketing campaign on view at both its New York City and San Francisco flagship stores. The campaign also will take place in Berlin, London and Paris.

"The idea of a 3D Selfie is in and of itself kind of awesome," said Michael Kantrow, co-founder of Makeable, an agency that also worked on the project, in a statement. "So we paired that with the simple but provocative thought of a ‘Selfless Selfie’ to inspire consumers around the world to think differently about what a selfie could represent and symbolize."

The 3D photo booths at Uniqlo’s flagships would be also apparently be selling mini-selfies. In June, Asda began introducing 3-D scanners at select stores across the United Kingdom, selling life-like mini-models of people at a starting price of £60 (U.S. $103).

BrainTrust

Discussion Questions

What do you see as the most interesting aspects of the Uniqlo Selfless Selfie Project? So you think it will successfully play into current social media trends with the chain’s customer base?

Poll

4 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Marge Laney
Marge Laney
9 years ago

Any time a retailer can get a customer to personally engage with their brand is a win. Selfies are fun, easy and don’t cost the retailer a thing.

Selfies taken inside the store or the fitting room are a great way for the customer to engage their friends and family and show off some of their choices which they are hopefully in the process of buying.

Technology that encourages the try-on or provides authentic positive feedback while the customer is shopping is a great investment and helps give the customer the confidence to make a positive buying decision. Adding a charitable angle only makes it better.

Anne Howe
Anne Howe
9 years ago

This is just great. I hope it can maintain its element of authenticity and not morph into the “I wanna be a star” default so many selfie-takers are portraying. Uniqlo has the sort of brand heritage to pull it off.

Shep Hyken
Shep Hyken
9 years ago

Love it. Let’s show off how we are giving back and paying it forward. When friends see what their friends are doing, they’ll hopefully want to join in. And maybe it will even fuel a little healthy competition — all in the name of charity.

Alexander Rink
Alexander Rink
9 years ago

This is a refreshing campaign by Uniqlo. It’s not everyday that you see a company take a chance on a campaign for the greater good as opposed to a celebrity actress or athlete. I’ve always been a fan of retail campaigns around charities or at least charity-inspired acts.

Although I’m a bigger advocate for humble acts of kindness rather than self-promotion, I realize that this is all about reach. And with the popularity of social media platforms growing every second, I see no better vertical for this campaign. It has not had quite the pickup I would have expected, but I do like the idea.