The RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge: Belk Vs. Overstock.com

Two commercials: Each created with the goal of drumming up consumer excitement and driving traffic and sales.

In the sixth episode of the RetailWire Christmas Commercial Challenge, we offer up new spots from Belk and Overstock.com for you to critique. (Toys "R" Us won in week one; Best Buy in week two; Kmart in week three, Kohl’s in week four and Sports Authority in week five.) At the end of the holiday season, we will put all the winners from the ongoing competition up for a vote to determine the merchant with the most to be cheerful about during this season of stress and, hopefully, cheer.

Which is better? You decide.

[Image: Belk Christmas]

[Image: Overstock.com Christmas]

BrainTrust

Discussion Questions

What do you think of Belk’s “Heading South for Christmas” and Overstock.com’s “Coach Ditka Santa” commercials? Which will do the best job of reinforcing the individual retailer’s brand and driving business this holiday season?

Poll

16 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Mark Price
Mark Price
10 years ago

While the Belk commercial speaks to the one-shop benefit of the site, they do not spend any time reminding customers of the breadth of products and the variety of needs that can be solved through their site.

Overstock.com, on the other hand, clearly highlights the variety of products that can be purchased through their site and the discounts that would be available during the holiday season. I find the production values poor and the creative approach a bit hackneyed, but in terms of most important factors for holiday commercials, I would give Overstock.com the clear win.

Max Goldberg
Max Goldberg
10 years ago

I give this round to Overstock. The spot is a bit hokey, with all the football cliches, but it reinforces the Overstock brand message of deep savings in a wide variety of categories. I wonder how many consumers will recognize Mike Ditka and the former Chicago Bears players.

Camille P. Schuster, Ph.D.
Camille P. Schuster, Ph.D.
10 years ago

The Belk commercial is a strange juxtaposition of tradition and flouting of tradition. The snowman is in the picture with a sign saying, “Gone South for Christmas,” a new Christmas song, delivering presents to people’s homes, and driving south in a convertible. The only reference to Belk is the packages. The juxtaposition of sentiments is confusing.

The Overstock ad is not confusing. It is very clear about its message, Overstock has low prices. I did not necessarily like the Overstock ad but it’s more clear and hits its point straight on, so I think it will be more effective.

Zel Bianco
Zel Bianco
10 years ago

The Belk ad is more entertaining and the music makes it more memorable. Coach Ditka is doing way too many commercials these days, such that it is hard to distinguish the brands, products or services he is pitching.

Phil Rubin
Phil Rubin
10 years ago

Two retail brands vying for attention and consideration as shopping destinations, using different devices and delivering somewhat different messages. Belk takes a classic track with a frenetic pace and juxtaposes it against way too many vignettes. Overstock.com takes a classic NFL device – the Bears ’85 Championship team as represented by Ditka McMahon – and hammers home point after point about what makes for their compelling value proposition.

The nod has to go to Overstock.com, who does a nice job of fitting in a big and broad message but delivers it with focus, something Belk lacks. And “bonus points” for Overstock.com tagging its loyalty program and free shipping benefit.

Two examples of relatively lackluster creative but one clearly delivering a better selling message.

Ed Rosenbaum
Ed Rosenbaum
10 years ago

Belk’s grabbed me with the music at the beginning. Overstocked.com is a little too directed at men and football unless you are a Chicago Bears fan.

Even though I am traveling North for Thanksgiving (I must be crazy); I give this to Belk’s.

Dr. Paul Helman
Dr. Paul Helman
10 years ago

I vote for the Overstock commercial. I liked being reminded of Super Bowls past. It was cheery.

Didn’t care for the Belk commercial. It felt like it was blaring at me just to get my attention. Not sure what its message really was.

Jeff Hall
Jeff Hall
10 years ago

I give a slight nod to the Overstock commercial. It conveys several benefits of the brand within a “We’re a team and we can do it” storyline. The Belk piece was a bit too fast paced and the core message, whatever it was, ended up being lost.

Larry Negrich
Larry Negrich
10 years ago

As a football fan, it’s a choice between the lesser of two evils: Shop Overstock.com and show support for the Chicago Bears. As a long-suffering Lions fan (I know, I know) – unlikely. Or choose a Belk commercial’s that sub-textually encourages football fans to go “south” during Christmas, aka Bowl Season, straight to the Belk Bowl located in the southern location of Charlotte, North Carolina which each year features an ACC team vs. an AAC team. So, Go Belk!

Lee Peterson
Lee Peterson
10 years ago

Both equally lame.

Cute girls don’t always raise awareness. Just ask Old Navy. And Mike Ditka and Jim McMahon? Who?

If I had to pick one though, I’d pick Overstock, simply because it’s almost funny.

Sounds like I need a Thanksgiving pick me up. C’mon Black Friday!

Lee Kent
Lee Kent
10 years ago

Both ads were pretty bad. Belk, beh, just an ad. Overstock, the Coach thing was ditsy. But, hey, I thought that Overstock at least told me what they sell and how good their discounts typically are. I’ll give my vote to Overstock.

Joan Treistman
Joan Treistman
10 years ago

At least Overstock reminds you of the variety of products and savings. Neither commercial was compelling. In fact, I had to rewind the Belk ad because I turned away. And that was while I was watching it specifically to write about my reaction. LOL.

So I have to place my vote in the Overstock.com column.

M. Jericho Banks PhD
M. Jericho Banks PhD
10 years ago

Two, too terrible ads. Of them, Belk does the better job communicating a holiday tone, while Overstock goes for the shopping jugular with a hard sell. If I were the writer/producer of both, I’d be prouder of the Belk ad. But, neither would find a place in my portfolio.

I’m not voting for either.

Regardless, it was good to see Jim McMahon doing something. I’m sure that Ditka insisted on including him. According to reports, Jim’s short-term memory is almost nonexistent due to football concussions, basically making him a recluse. Thus, his limited role in the commercial. He doesn’t wear sunglasses as a fashion statement, but because his brain damage causes extreme pain when he experiences too much light. Welcome back, Jim!

Li McClelland
Li McClelland
10 years ago

No contest – Da Coach and the Punky QB win this one cold. I like the emphasis on the male shopper, too.

Belk – just did not click. Meh.

Brian Numainville
Brian Numainville
10 years ago

Overstock.com gave the viewer an idea of the depth of products offered. Belk, while a creative commercial, gave the viewer no idea what Belk is or means. Winner – overstock.com.

Kevin Pfuhl
Kevin Pfuhl
10 years ago

On the merits of one spot versus the other, it’s a matter of audience appeal.

If the Belk brief was to relate to model-like, hipster 20 somethings, then I think the ad totally hit the mark. Isn’t that what all 20 somethings aspire to look like anyway? I especially love the reaction that the pretty girl gives her guy when he slides the Belk gift card to her in the car. Smacks of holiday spirit (and surprise), doesn’t it? In my experience, these very same, very savvy, very smart 20 somethings prefer over-the-top hyperbolic ads to run-of-the-mill contrived ones.

The Overstock.com spot, although totally contrived, knows its target and its product offering very well – middle market, time pressed, on-demand, impulsive shoppers who need an easy gifting solution. This is the target most retailers actually want. Although using celebrity from times-gone-way-by and the football team playbook isn’t new, the spot relates to its audience very well.

So on that level, Overstock.com gets my vote over Belk – by a long shot.

That said, aren’t holiday retail ads supposed to relate on an authentic, human, emotional level? I miss good ‘ole holiday schmaltz and I think consumers do too.