Von Maur Won’t Open Thanksgiving, Easter, Memorial Day, Etc.

I have a new hero and his name is Jim von Maur, president of the Von Maur Department Store chain. While the debate rages on whether or not it is "right" for retailers to open their stores on Thanksgiving, Von Maur employees will be with family and friends enjoying the holiday.

"Some things are sacred, including spending time with family and loved ones on Thanksgiving and other holidays. We profitably run our business during the remaining 358 days of the year, so we don’t have to sacrifice tradition for the sake of sales," said Mr. von Maur, in a statement. "Our family-oriented focus has been the cornerstone of our culture since 1872, and that is never going to change."

The family-owned chain doesn’t plan to open its stores crazy early on Black Friday either. Von Maur, which operates 29 stores in 13 states along with an e-commerce center in Davenport, IA, will open its doors at 9:00 a.m., only one hour before its normal start time. The chain will close its doors at 4:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

According to a company press release, "Von Maur recognizes that its success stems from the strength and commitment of its associates. In appreciation, Von Maur offers its associates, who are mostly full-time, above-market wages, comprehensive health and retirement plans, and extensive opportunities for training and internal advancement."

BrainTrust

Discussion Questions

What is your reaction to Von Maur’s approach to holiday hours? Is the chain a relic of a bygone era or a beacon to follow into the future?

Poll

24 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dick Seesel
Dick Seesel
10 years ago

Von Maur has the advantage of family ownership and a longstanding culture that helps it avoid the “rat race” of deep discounts, coupons and extended hours. And, needless to say, it has a brand position to protect which is greater in importance than opening on Thanksgiving evening. (Not to mention its own employee relations.)

I’m not sure that the Von Maur way – or the Macy’s way – is a beacon in one direction or the other. Macy’s and its competitors will argue their position (“everybody else did it”) but whether the early hours actually drive incremental sales is another story.

Bob Phibbs
Bob Phibbs
10 years ago

Know your customer. I imagine they lose very little by taking this stand, but I can’t imagine any large retailer standing on principle when their very survival is at stake. But such an announcement to me reads “we’re old.”

Would Von Maur say they wouldn’t add mobile functionality or iPads because they’ve always been successful without it? I hope not.

Frank Riso
Frank Riso
10 years ago

I can only hope they are a beacon for others to follow. While I am a big fan of the industry and all it represents, I just cannot agree with Thanksgiving becoming just a pit stop on the way to Christmas shopping. I do plan to shop all stores that are closed on Thanksgiving and have normal hours on Friday. I want to enjoy the time with the family, with turkey, and with football, and if we run out of beer, there is always 7-Eleven.

Steve Montgomery
Steve Montgomery
10 years ago

While Von Maur may be a beacon in the wilderness of frantic holiday shopping, I doubt that many, if any, will follow. The fear of being outdone by someone being open earlier or later will continue to drive longer hours on holidays.

The race to see who can be open the earliest or stay open the longest reminds of a science fiction I read many years ago where stores were open 24/7/365 for Christmas shopping. Not sure, but we are already headed down that path.

Matthew Keylock
Matthew Keylock
10 years ago

A good example of knowing what your brand stands for and living the values.
Clearly not every business and brand will stand for the same set of values, which provides room for great diversity and customer choice … including being open for custom at all times.
Whatever the brand values are, being true to them across the whole enterprise is very important.

David Livingston
David Livingston
10 years ago

When it comes to operating hours, each store needs to decide what’s best for them. Perhaps opening on holidays doesn’t pay off for them. Higher labor cost, low customer count versus big box stores, Von Maur might not get the big box payback. As for offering above-market wages, health care and retirement, it is probably more of a necessity rather than appreciation in order to get a better class of employee. Part of keeping better employees happy is to not have them needlessly working holidays.

Paula Rosenblum
Paula Rosenblum
10 years ago

I don’t think it matters if they gain or lose sales in the short term. Over the course of the holiday season it’s a wash anyway.

What does matter is the ethos, and to that I say “Amen.”

Max Goldberg
Max Goldberg
10 years ago

I’m glad to see a retailer who recognizes that the holidays are a time when families should be together. Like Nordstrom, Von Maur seems to get this. It is possible for a retailer to make a profit with mostly full-time employees, above-market wages, comprehensive health care, retirement plans, and extensive opportunities for training and advancement. If more retailers did the same, their employee churn would drop and customer satisfaction would go up.

Richard J. George, Ph.D.
Richard J. George, Ph.D.
10 years ago

It is all about work/life balance. Organizations send a clear message to their associates and customers with decisions such as this. True, there is the potential sales loss associated from not being in the market when your competitors are. However, the marketing implications in many cases such as this are very positive.

It is interesting to note that Chick-fil-A is always closed on Sunday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day and hasn’t appeared to suffer deleterious effects. Recall Ukrops was extremely successful while still remaining shuttered on Sundays. On the manufacturing side, McKee Foods is closed from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.

The point is to “walk the talk.” Von Maur and others are doing so. The Millennials/Gen Y have a better sense of work/life balance than their parents or grandparents. They resonate well with companies who respect life beyond work.

Joan Treistman
Joan Treistman
10 years ago

Clearly Von Maur is comfortable in its own shoes/stores and knows its business well. The incremental value for extreme schedules during the holidays is not better or equal to the value of not opening at those times…for Von Maur. Von Maur has done its homework and won the hearts and probably the dedication of their employees.

Personally, I think shoppers are realizing that the crazy hours don’t give them much extra either. Retailers will eventually scale back. At least I hope so.

Eric Chester
Eric Chester
10 years ago

Love it. Classic tortoise vs. the hare scenario, and the rabbit’s going down.

While the race continues to escalate between retailers aiming to be the first to open and the last to close during these sacred holidays (e.g. Kmart) those (e.g. Von Maur) that value long-term employee engagement above short-lived revenue spikes will win big.

When retailers demonstrate that they value their people over profits, they attract better talent. These employees are capable of generating more sales at higher profit margins, and they provide a far greater customer experience. Further, that breed of employee is much less likely to leave for the competitor down the mall who’s offering $.50 more per hour.

Very soon we’re going to see a labor shortage that is going to bring many retailers to their knees. Those that are viewed as an employer of choice will remain open. Those who’ve treated employees as a disposable commodity will find they can’t attract enough warm bodies during January, not-to-mention the holidays.

Shep Hyken
Shep Hyken
10 years ago

I think what Von Maur is doing is smart. There is a lot of publicity surrounding retailers being open on Thanksgiving (and other holidays). Von Maur has seized the opportunity to appeal to the press, and their interest in contrarian points of view. Good way to get publicity and at the same time reinforce their family values and their employee-focused culture.

Ed Rosenbaum
Ed Rosenbaum
10 years ago

Finally we hear of a company standing up for its core beliefs and associates. Way to go Mr. Von Maur. You are a beacon in this total darkness of “follow the (lost) leader” mentality that does nothing but upset family values and tradition.

Andy Casey
Andy Casey
10 years ago

I like it and admire them for it. I doubt they are naive about what it will cost them in sales, but putting principles in front of profits is something we need more of in the world.

Ed Dennis
Ed Dennis
10 years ago

Von Maur can afford to close on holidays, because its customers aren’t “bargain” shoppers. However, let’s think about what else is involved here. Do you think this helps with recruiting? Won’t the brightest and best gravitate to an employer who closes on holidays and doesn’t force employees to work on holidays? Do you think it makes customers feel better or worse about being a Von Maur customer? Could it be that Von Maur has found a win/win/win attitude? An attitude that benefits ownership, employees and customers!

Thank goodness I am not reading about them providing an app, connecting with Millennials, or reaching for some other silver bullet. Someone seems to have their head screwed on straight.

Gene Hoffman
Gene Hoffman
10 years ago

Von Maur has a conviction regarding opening hours and is sticking with it even as competitor’s appeals to the retail marketplace speed forward. That doesn’t necessarily mean Von Maur is either a relic of a bygone era or a beacon to follow into the future. It just means VM will not cut VM’s convictions to suit today’s fashion, as long as it can.

Von Maur must remember that emerging customers’ actions are the interpreter of future retail life.

Lee Peterson
Lee Peterson
10 years ago

Right on, Von Maur. Not doing what everyone else is doing is a brand statement for them. Anyone with a family should embrace that move and stop the madness.

Tony Orlando
Tony Orlando
10 years ago

I respect what they are doing, as we never have been open either for 48 years, and plan on doing it that way till I retire. Retailing IMO has become a nightmare for people on the front lines, dealing with irate bargain hunter maniacs who MUST camp out in $300 tents to save $50 on a stupid TV. It makes no sense to me, and yes I’m a baby boomer who appreciates the family coming to my house, while I put together an amazing meal for everyone to enjoy.

My hope is that I can get to retirement before the landscape of retail has been scorched by the super big monster stores and online giants own most of what is left to sell, as it will become much more difficult to turn a decent profit in the coming decade. Staying true to your values is honorable, and I wish the best to all independents out there trying to make a difference, as well as a profit.

Jeff Hall
Jeff Hall
10 years ago

I respect and admire Von Maur’s position of putting its associates, their families, and the company’s values first.

Their statement “Some things are sacred, including spending time with family and loved ones on Thanksgiving and other holidays” affirms this retailer is guided by clear, lasting values.

Craig Sundstrom
Craig Sundstrom
10 years ago

I agree with George: props to them. Of course a cynic might add that it can pay to be virtuous when you are the (seemingly) solitary example, and you’re reaping favorable publicity for it (although I truly don’t think that’s their intention, and one will note that there aren’t actually any news stories accompanying the thread). Beacon or relic? Sadly, the latter.

Tom Smith
Tom Smith
10 years ago

Von Maur is showing respect for their employees in the same way they would like for employees to show respect for customers. Given that loyal employees = loyal customers, this is a smart move.

Tim Moerke
Tim Moerke
10 years ago

“I want to enjoy the time with the family, with turkey, and with football, and if we run out of beer, there is always 7-Eleven.”

I certainly don’t want to pick on Frank here, and hope he does not interpret it that way, but to me, this is exactly what I find puzzling about this debate – somebody has to work at that 7-Eleven too, after all. Plus, a lot of people work to make those football games happen, or at the restaurants people dine at if they don’t eat at home, or at movie theaters they attend if they want to catch a movie after their meal, and so on. And that’s not even getting into things like emergency services.

I’m all for people being able to spend time with their families, but what is it that makes retail sacred and different from other sectors? There are many people for whom working on Thanksgiving has always been a possibility.

Robert Hilarides
Robert Hilarides
10 years ago

Relic. Though that’s not a bad thing.

Personally I don’t shop on Thanksgiving or even Black Friday, preferring other activities with my family. But I know many people who view shopping as integral to their “Family Traditions” of Thanksgiving, and I don’t think a commercial enterprise like a retailer is the moral compass to tell them they shouldn’t. Who’s to say that watching football is any more noble than shopping with your daughter for a thoughtful gift.

At the same time, I applaud Von Maur’s for listening to their own moral compass and making the sacrifice in terms of revenue and share for the sake of their employees.

William Passodelis
William Passodelis
10 years ago

Von Maur is a sophisticated and genteel store similar to Nordstrom. Their service is outstanding! I applaud them and add that they really do not need to open on Thanksgiving, or have crazy black Friday hours. They may actually gain a few sales in relation to their stand, but their customer, I believe, will remain faithful simply because of the way they conduct their business overall. They are well run and customer-centric. Personally, I do purchase from them via the internet, and would shop their stores as well, if one was near.