The Five Lies Customers Tell And How To Sell Around Them

Through a special arrangement, presented here for discussion is a summary of a current article from the Retail Doc blog.

While customers often feel salespeople can’t be trusted, retailers are often faced with selling to customers who tell white lies to avoid purchasing an expensive item.

Here are five of the most common lies I’ve come across and how retail salespeople can handle them:

"We can’t afford it": People who don’t have money don’t go shopping. Your goal is to help them see that by not purchasing that specific product, they are making their life more difficult, not easier. Give them features and benefits throughout the sale to show them that this product is the best buy for them right now. Another way to still get the sale is show them a product that is cheaper, but similar enough that they don’t mind giving up one or two features they said were important to them.

"Just looking": The danger of believing, "They don’t need my help," is that you passively wait for customers to say, "I’ll take it." The simply answer to that statement, "That’s great we have lots to look at including our newest product we just got in over here" and then leave. Once they pick something up, return and try to build rapport. Bombarding them with items without having first built rapport could make them angry enough to walk out.

"We’ll look around": Often heard at the close of a sale, the line indicates this product isn’t what they want. What they’re really saying: "We want to get away from you," and/or "We don’t want to hurt your feelings." At this point, turn over the sale to someone else. Sometimes personalities just aren’t a fit.

"I have to ask my husband": Also often heard toward the close of the sale, it says they aren’t the decision maker. What they are really saying is they still don’t trust you as a salesperson. Once you hear that, repeat back to them in a kindly manner what they said they were looking for, three benefits of the product, and shut up. That might enhance trust enough to shore up a sale. If they really have to ask their husband, you’ve armed them with a bullet list of reasons for purchasing the product.

"It’s too expensive": What the customer is really saying is it’s too expensive for the amount of benefit they think they’ll get out of it. They need to hear that this product will make their life easier, more comfortable, or more special. You know why these items cost more, your customers don’t. Take the time to educate them so they can treat themselves to what they deserve.

BrainTrust

Discussion Questions

What are some ways sales associates can improve their trust levels with shoppers? What’s the toughest ‘white lie’ to overcome of those listed in the article? What other “white lies” are often heard from shoppers to avoid engaging with associates or making a decision on a sale?

Poll

20 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Gene Hoffman
Gene Hoffman
10 years ago

Little white lies usually cover a darker complexion.

When a customer says “I’m just looking” it implies either I don’t like you (the sales associate) or I don’t want you to try to trick me into buying.

It’s a ‘your will against mine’ situation. That power struggle is a continuing challenge for retailers with multiple objectives.

Al McClain
Al McClain
10 years ago

The caveat is that sometimes these “white lies” are true. The “shopper” is really just a “browser”. Yes, they may eventually buy something (or not) but they really just want to browse without having someone asking them every 30 seconds “May I help you with something?” or “Have you found everything ok today?”

Robert DiPietro
Robert DiPietro
10 years ago

I’m not convinced these are lies, just that the customer has not made a buying decision. The associate has to make themselves available without smothering the customer…just set the stage for a return check in with the customer.

If they say only browsing say “ok,I will be over here if you need me” then check back in a minute or two.

Chris Petersen, PhD
Chris Petersen, PhD
10 years ago

I think that the operative words are “considered” purchase for an “expensive” item.

Rather than call them “lies”, the better term would be “indicators” that the consumer is not convinced of the value of the product for them. Almost all of us have used these “excuses” to buy more time to make a decision about value, especially when we are confronted by high pressure commissioned sales people.

The smart retailer will use these 5 consumer indicators as signs to:
1) change their selling motion to focus on personal value versus features,
2) increase consumer engagement -especially in experiencing the product in ways that they’ll use it
3) leverage omni-channel strategies to continue to engage the consumer even if they don’t purchase today.

Don Uselmann
Don Uselmann
10 years ago

These are big questions that I have struggled with over the last 40 years—how do we get sales associates to better engage with a customer, build trust, and develop a relationship. Rather like dating, from the pick-up line forward. I think Garrett Boone of The Container Store adds great insight in this article from 2010.

Ed Rosenbaum
Ed Rosenbaum
10 years ago

I recall my days as a sales manager when my sales associates would tell me “buyers are liars.” No matter which side you are on there is distrust until confidence and trust are built. Once that happens it is easy to address the “white lies.”

My response to “I have to ask my husband” is; the question can she make the decision or does she have to ask her husband should have come up at the beginning of the chat. Then no one would have wasted their time. It is also a put off because she was not comfortable with what the salesperson said in the presentation.

I received a considerable amount of training in sales from some of the best in the training field. I was taught responses to each of the “white lies” in the article. They are not difficult to overcome IF there is a true interest on the part of the prospect to buy.

Mel Kleiman
Mel Kleiman
10 years ago

I for one hate the idea of calling these white lies. I call these stalls. They’re reasons not to make a decision, not real reasons not to buy. An objection is a reason not to buy.

The best way to handle a stall is to learn to say, “I don’t understand.” The purpose of this is to get the customer to tell you what they really mean.

Example: “We can’t afford it.” Don’t assume you know what that means. Ask what the customer means. You will get all kind of answers.

1. Not in my budget…
2. Did not plan to spend that much…
3. I think I can find it cheaper on the web…

Now you have the real objection and need to deal with it.

Most sales people just have not been trained or are not interested in actually selling.

David Zahn
David Zahn
10 years ago

Great topic to discuss. How does a salesperson create rapport? What can be done to improve trust? How can a salesperson raise their perception in their customer’s/prospect’s eyes to being an advisor?

The standard approaches will only get you so far. What is missing:

• Trust includes (Self-trust/Market trust/organizational trust?relationship trust/societal trust). Of course there is much “underneath each of these – but that is the list (source: Speed of Trust, Stephen Covey)

How to develop rapport:

• Communication, storytelling (and story tending – a skill few have!), vulnerability, credibility, competency, and caring

Being a trusted advisor:

• Working transparently and for the betterment of the client or customer – not with hidden agendas, or without full disclosure.

This is not just a sales issue – these are entire organizational issues. I have been working with clients to create responses to these (and other) issues to minimize the tension between interfaces (sales to marketing, seller to buyer, etc.).

Ralph Jacobson
Ralph Jacobson
10 years ago

A couple points in the article are not entirely accurate. “People who don’t have money don’t go shopping.”… Not always true. I know plenty of people who “window shop” for wines, apparel, electronics, cars, etc. that they cannot afford.

Along with similar responses to the responses listed in the article, I would say that sales people can overcome customer roadblocks by becoming an advocate of the shopper. “You’re right, it is expensive. I can tell you that I bought this even though it cost more because…” Offer product benefit information that may show some differentiating characteristics that could build the value in the shopper’s mind.

John Boccuzzi, Jr.
John Boccuzzi, Jr.
10 years ago

After 20 plus years in sales I can offer this advice.

1. Know the items you are selling inside and out.
  2. Provide additional data or research that customers may not know, but would appreciate.
  3. Earn your commission by going above and beyond what the job requires/expects.
  4. If you are selling HP printers or a Cannon camera, you better be a user as well.

All of the items above build credibility and customer confidence. I always ask the waiter or waitress what is their favorite item on the menu. If they are not sure or say I don’t really eat here, a red flag goes up and I either walk out or don’t return. It’s the person that passionately tells me about the “amazing special” that they always order that gets the big tip and repeat business.

The “white lies” above tend to go away when you build trust using the four tips I mentioned.

Gordon Arnold
Gordon Arnold
10 years ago

Customers almost never lie. Shoppers lie all day long as a means of not being disturbed in their quest for whatever.

A well trained and practiced salesperson will qualify everyone for now purchase potential closing as many buyers as they can for the benefit of all as in customer, company and self. When time allows they will turn to transforming qualified shoppers into customers.

Qualified shoppers are those individuals with the dollars, authority, willingness and need for the purpose of obtaining goods and/or services applied to a specific purpose. Sales people that can not determine an individual’s status, as in buyer vs. shopper, run an elevated risk of turning a buyer into a shopper and thus losing a valuable company customer.

As I have stated many times, differentiation is the glue that persuades trust and investment thus making buyers a member of a company’s customer list on a continuing basis. Poorly prepared employees can and will destroy the benefit of differentiation simply by removing or upsetting the rapport between the company and the client.

As for the question presented in this discussion of what lies are the most difficult to handle when one attempts to make a shopper into a customer, it is the lie of omission without a doubt. This lie is better described as indifference. What makes indifference a serious problem is the difficulty a salesperson must endure reaching out to a prospect through their own frustrations when faced with what seems to be blatant rejection. The only way to turn an indifferent shopper into a buyer is to ask the right open questions. These questions should be designed for disclosing investment priorities and supporting each investment criteria need with a feature and benefit provided by the company that directly and successfully addresses specific areas of concern. Itemizing the needs and asking for the sale is a positive next step. If rejection follows be assured that all needs are not disclosed and move forward to disclose, support and close.

M. Jericho Banks PhD
M. Jericho Banks PhD
10 years ago

A salesman sat in a potential customer’s living room, making a sales pitch. One by one he explained his product’s benefits, emphasized by sliding the appropriate printed material across a coffee table in front of the customer. Each brochure was met with appreciative head nodding. Finally, the salesman finished his presentation by sliding a sales contract across the table. But the potential customer slid it back to the salesman and said, “I cannot buy.”

“Why,” asked the salesman, “when you agreed with each point in the presentation of my product?”

The customer responded, “Because my wife is making soup today.”

“What does that have to do with your decision not to buy?,” asked the salesman.

“Well,” said the customer, “as long as you don’t want to buy something, one excuse is just as good as another.”

Now that’s an honest response, the kind that sales associates should appreciate and encourage. Honesty and candor from the sales person will often be returned by the customer.

Li McClelland
Li McClelland
10 years ago

Count me as another one who finds the term “white lie” as used in this article to be both inaccurate and somewhat offensive. Yes, “I’m just looking,” “It’s beyond my budget” or “I need to check with my wife” are indicators of interest and also probably excuses to be left alone or to get themselves out of there for the time being. But, it also may well be the truth.

For an overbearing salesperson to come into an interaction with a customer that almost automatically assumes conflict and dishonesty–and then pushes or persists– breaks every rule about showing respect and gratitude to the potential customer who has deigned to honor your establishment with their presence.

Lee Peterson
Lee Peterson
10 years ago

How ’bout we start with hiring people that actually like people? When customers are faced with genuinely happy people, they open up. It’s just human nature. And if those people that like people actually tell the truth to the customer at every level, you will build trust. And with trust, you will not have to worry about the “white lies” at all.

Gordon Arnold
Gordon Arnold
10 years ago

Customers almost never lie. Shoppers lie all day long as a means of not being disturbed in their quest for whatever. A well trained and practiced salesperson will qualify everyone for now purchase potential, closing as many buyers as they can for the benefit of all, as in customer, company and self.

When time allows, they will turn to transforming qualified shoppers into customers. Qualified shoppers are those individuals with the dollars, authority, willingness and need for the purpose of obtaining goods and/or services applied to a specific purpose.

Sales people that can not determine an individuals status, as in buyer vs. shopper, run an elevated risk of turning a buyer into a shopper and thus losing a valuable company customer.

As I have stated many times differentiation is the glue that persuades trust and investment thus making buyers a member of a company’s customer list on a continuing basis. Poorly prepared employees can and will destroy the benefit of differentiation simply by removing or upsetting the rapport between the company and the client.

As for the question presented in this discussion of what lies are the most difficult to handle when one attempts to make a shopper into a customer, it is the lie of omission without a doubt. This lie is better described as indifference. What makes indifference a serious problem is the difficulty a salesperson must endure reaching out to a prospect through their own frustrations when faced with what seems to be blatant rejection. The only way to turn an indifferent shopper into a buyer is to ask the right open questions. These questions should be designed for disclosing investment priorities and supporting each investment criteria need with a feature and benefit provided by the company that directly successfully addresses these specific areas of concern.

Itemizing the needs and asking for the sale is a positive next step. If rejection follows be assured that all needs are not disclosed and move forward to disclose, support and close.

Doug Garnett
Doug Garnett
10 years ago

Sometimes, these are just nice ways to say “no”—they’ve decided not to buy and it’s a legitimate turn-down.

But when a yes is possible, these often reflect reality that the consumer simply hasn’t made their mental decision to purchase. So when a sales associate is pushing for a close, they simply aren’t ready.

So in most cases, these “white lies” mean they need things to build the confidence needed to make their final mental leap. My experience is this is usually the issue—and it affects all five of these given here.

“Too expensive”? Means they haven’t chosen to accept that the value justifies the price.

“My spouse”? Means they haven’t chosen to resolve their last doubts. (Of course, sales people use the identical approach to discounts—”I can’t do that. My boss can.”)

Same ideas with “Need to look around,” “Just looking,” and “can’t afford.”

In my sales experience, they key is getting people to the point where they say “I want that product” independent of price. Once that jump is made, all these are resolvable. Without that jump, it’s a rough go.

Ed Dennis
Ed Dennis
10 years ago

Acknowledge their need to “shop” by saying something like “yes, I kinda like some space when I shop too. When you have some questions, I will be glad to help.” The first thing any sales associate has to do is make the potential customer feel comfortable. Acknowledge their need for room and don’t hover. Get out of sight, but pop back into their field of view from time to time.

Alan Cooper
Alan Cooper
10 years ago

I prefer not to call these white lies as well. Many are canned robotic responses either:

• as a form of “No;”
  • as a way of saying, “You are not welcome into my personal space;”
  • as a way of saying, “I’m comfortable with my own research, your assistance is not needed;”
  • due to the “show rooming” phenomenon;
  • due to poor execution of the sales process and building a relationship.

Whatever the initiative of the salesperson at this point, the customer has put up a shield. This is due to the lack of any relationship at that stage of the sale or encounter. A rookie might ask, “May I help you?” Without having any credibility/relationship at that stage, the canned response, “I’m just looking,” comes into play. This is more prevalent when a salesperson bombards a customer too soon upon entry into a store or showroom. The objection, “I need to confer with my significant other,” exposes a failed close as this information could have been coyly gathered at an earlier stage of the sale. With today’s social media, reality is that if there is an exceptional buy or if the benefits outweigh the combination of features and price, the customer will commit.

The professional, well-trained salesperson is a great listener, can react to cues, has the capability to bring the customer’s defenses down and make solid relationships – which mitigate “canned” responses and “white lies.”

Thomas Shaw
Thomas Shaw
10 years ago

The white lie, “Just looking” isn’t really so much a lie as a basic defense mechanism. It’s easily overcome by asking with a big friendly smile, “I’m guessing that you’ve had some bad experiences with sales people before, huh?” Then follow up with, “Well please allow me to apologize for some of the pushy people in my field. I guessing that what you’re really looking for is simply information so that you can make the best possible choice for yourself, right? Well, awesome then. With your permission, if I could have just 10 minutes of your time I’d like to show you why I believe in our product and give you all the information you’ll need to make the best choice for yourself. Would that be all right with you?”

That will usually blow their mind because sales people just don’t say that and nine times out of 10 they will grant you the permission to sell them.

Shep Hyken
Shep Hyken
10 years ago

It’s not so much that these are lies as they are objections. A good sales person can learn to deal and respond to any of these. Just get the right training, do some roll playing and then practice in real life situations—with customers.

That said, one of the best ways to improve a trust level is to be helping versus selling. Engage the customer with the following:

– A friendly greeting.
– An opening question, such as: What can I help you find today?
– Ask questions about what they are looking for and why.

The bottom line is that you are genuinely interested in the customer. Focus on the customer and sales will follow.