Domino’s to Premiere Pizza Theater

As part of a four-year-long branding makeover, Domino’s is introducing a more upscale "Pizza Theater" store concept as well as a simplified logo.

The eatery redesign features open-kitchens — including a step platform for children — that enable guests to watch "pizza-making artists" tossing dough and creating pizzas. Depending on the size, the stores will incorporate comfortable lobby areas with seating as well as ordering kiosks and boards that track to-go orders electronically. Chalkboards are placed around the eateries to allow customers to express their creativity or leave feedback for the store team.

Some stores may feature a number of "grab and go" items, from salads and milk to cookies and mini dessert parfaits, and some may be decked out with big screen televisions

dominos new logoDomino’s is also ditching its square-shaped logo for a similarly detailed rectangular one with no mention of pizza. In a statement, Chief Marketing Officer Russell Weiner said the aim is for a "simple, visually striking logo" to "reach the point
where we’re as recognized as the Nike swoosh or the Golden Arches."

Nearly a dozen of the concept stores have been built throughout the U.S. this year.
The changes comes as about 30 percent of guests on average now pick up from Domino’s, up from 10 percent to 20 percent. The increase has been spurred by mid-week promotions, consumers’ desire to avoid tips or delivery fees, as well as some customers finding it convenient to pick up pizza on the way home. Mr. Weiner admitted to Advertising Age that Domino’s stark stores "are not the most welcoming."

The moves also reflect the menu revamped in 2008 that includes a reformulated core pizza recipe. Additional items now include a line of artisan pizzas, side items like Parmesan Bread Bites and Stuffed Cheesy Bread, as well as sandwiches. Some reports also saw the changes as a response to more upscale approaches from other fast-food chains as well as a growing number of build-your-own pizza concepts.

Yet despite the warmer settings and seating, Domino’s is not shifting from its delivery model.

"If people want to sit down and sneak in a couple of Parmesan bread bites or sneak in a bite or two of their pizza, they’ll have room to do that," Chris Brandon, a company spokesman, told NBC News. "If somebody really does want to sit there and eat their pizza, they’ll have more breathing room to but it’s not a means towards dine-in."

dominos new store

BrainTrust

Discussion Questions

What do you think of Domino’s new store redesign and logo? Is the revamp sufficient to keep the chain up with current trends? Is upscale, experiential and interactive bound to become ever more common in fast food?

Poll

16 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
John Crossman
John Crossman
11 years ago

I grew up a fan of Domino’s and now with two young daughters, they are back on my radar. I like the new look and feel that the market has room for competition. Fast food needs to stay close to their core (fast, cheap, simple, etc.), but I like it when they push a new design and remind the consumer that they are open and ready to serve.

Steve Montgomery
Steve Montgomery
11 years ago

Food is theater — something we learned a long time ago when creating large format convenience stores with a foodservice emphasis. Customers like to see the prep area and the creation of their food. This is not new — NY pizzerias have been tossing pizza around to attract and entertain customers for a long time. Part of Subway’s success is that you see what they are doing as they assemble your sandwich. There are plenty of upscale examples as well.

As more of their customers are picking up their pizzas at the store, Domino’s is providing them with entertainment to keep them occupied while they wait. Would be interesting to know if the employee turnover rates are different in the new format locations versus the older ones. I would expect the staff in the new locations will like the recognition and more pleasant work environment.

Richard J. George, Ph.D.
Richard J. George, Ph.D.
11 years ago

Since all selling involves theater, this new logo and store look makes good sense. The key is to make the pick-up option friendlier and more appetizing while maintaining their position as the leading “pizza to go” option. This is consistent with the original mandate of Tom Monaghan, founder of Domino’s, to offer “pizza hot, pizza fast.”

Throughout the years, Domino’s has been tempted by the song of the Sirens to offer the same amenities as a bricks and mortar eat-in restaurant. The company has been successful in keeping its focus and concentrating its resources against the original positioning.

Bob Phibbs
Bob Phibbs
11 years ago

What I particularly like about this is the line buried in the LAT, “Only new stores and existing stores that have undergone major remodeling will be allowed to use the new symbol.”

It will be a subtle way of making franchisees who don’t pony up to the new concept be visibly separate from the brand.

Not sure removing pizza from their name is as smart a move.

Fabien Tiburce
Fabien Tiburce
11 years ago

I applaud their efforts to drive the dine-in business. I also like the idea of going upscale — McDonald’s is doing this very successfully — but I am not so sure that’s what they are really doing. “Theater” suggests family entertainment, it does not suggest “upscale.” There is nothing wrong with creating a kid and family friendly dining experience, but I am not sure this will help brand perception with adults and 20 somethings (most likely the brand’s largest consumer demographic). It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Cathy Hotka
Cathy Hotka
11 years ago

I’m not sure about the new logo, but the store concept will be a winner. Grab-and-go is immensely appealing, and will undoubtedly result in additional impulse purchasing. They’ve come a long way from the sparse waiting area with the fluorescent bulb….

Gene Detroyer
Gene Detroyer
11 years ago

While I don’t consider myself a pizza expert, I do love pizza. A week doesn’t go by where it isn’t part of a meal, trying variety after variety, combination after combination. It is difficult for me to pass a place without looking at what unique slices they have (Two Boots in Manhattan, very creative.) Last week I passed KRUNCH, they had a Mac and 3-cheese pizza. YIKES, had to try a slice. When in Italy, it is pizza for lunch almost every day.

With that being said, I have never considered Domino’s a pizza restaurant and that is the important distinction to their strategy. Domino’s is closer to McDonald’s than a true pizza joint. Therefore, they should follow a fast food strategy with their stores, which they are doing.

My prediction: it will be a great success. But, I will probably not stop by. For that matter, I haven’t been to McDonald’s in 10-years or more, either.

Sid Raisch
Sid Raisch
11 years ago

Way past due. Looks like a Quizno’s, and they’ve been at this how long? Maybe Domino’s should look ahead and invent the future rather than copy a more recent past?

Christopher P. Ramey
Christopher P. Ramey
11 years ago

The changes allow Domino’s to manage their evolution. It unlocks doors that have been closed; an innovative strategy that allows them to move with the market.

Joanna Felder
Joanna Felder
11 years ago

The new store design is the proud work of Chute Gerdeman Retail Design, working in seamless partnership with Domino’s.

Ed Dennis
Ed Dennis
11 years ago

Domino’s has never had a marketing problem. They have had a pricing problem, especially due to the increase in quality of frozen grocery store pizza. Domino’s flourished when grocery pizza was made of cardboard and tasted like cardboard. When frozen quality increased, Domino’s didn’t react with a better product or better pricing. Domino’s continued to rest on their delivery model, thinking that there was no substitute for fresh baked pizza in 30 minutes. The pizza lovers soon found that they could get a very good frozen pizza for $3.00 – $5.00, throw it in the freezer and cook it in 30 minutes or less.

Times are hard. I don’t think any amount of remodeling is going to make any difference. If Domino’s wants to make a difference, let them revamp their ingredients list and contract with some major grocers and put their conveyer ovens in a supermarket kiosk. Order when you come in, pick up on your way out. This is a price, health, convenience issue as the delivery aspect has become less important. Domino’s does not have a location edge as the concept was based on cheap real estate and location isn’t critical in a home delivery model. The kiosk may be the kick they need.

Adrian Weidmann
Adrian Weidmann
11 years ago

The theater concept plays directly into the need for retailers to create an environment that engages all of our senses. Touch, smell, taste, sound and sight to differentiate from any of the electronic channels. Allowing customers of all ages to connect with the Domino’s brand at all these levels is fantastic. Leveraging the human senses to create an immersive experiential destination allowing your customers to connect with your brand is a meaningful strategy. More retailers should integrate this concept into their playbook if they want to keep their ‘brick & mortar’ channel relevant with their customers.

Lee Kent
Lee Kent
11 years ago

I personally like the high-tech feel of it. If they are catering to the order in, pick up crowd, being able to see where the order is at all times is very comforting. The worst thing is to stand around waiting only to find that your order has somehow been dropped. This does not make our fast paced consumer very happy! Domino’s is putting all the right things in place to say that they care about service and getting it right.

Jonathan Marek
Jonathan Marek
11 years ago

I’m all for testing new ideas, and this is probably worth a test. But I think there is a high hurdle. It looks like a lot of cost goes into this makeover, yet it only supports the non-delivery piece of the business. As pizza prices remain aggressive, commodity prices increase, and delivery remains king. Can this generate the in-store lift required to pay out the investment? If not everywhere, can Domino’s figure out where it works?

Lee Peterson
Lee Peterson
11 years ago

The key is not what I think of the design or even what customers think, but what the franchisees think of paying for the design. Hence, the word upscale will most likely mean “no way” in terms of expense for franchisees. I say this from experience — unless this design is paid for in some way by the corporate entity, it won’t fly.

So, you may or may not see this design at all, depending on the wallet and mood of the recipient owner. This scenario is the bane of the restaurant industry: franchising makes for quick expansion, then it’s downhill in terms of brand execution or progressive change. Just compare Dunkin’ Donuts (franchised) to Starbucks (company owned) and you’ll get the point quick.

Mike B
Mike B
11 years ago

The plan with this must be to grow take-out business. The footprint of the store in the concept photo looks immensely larger than any Domino’s I’ve ever seen.

Usually these places take locations tucked in somewhat undesirable space since not too many people show up for carry-out.

The strategy here, if properly executed, could grow the carry out business heavily. It almost appears as if they are trying to move away from the delivery type model. Not a bad idea… the franchisee in my area has been doing $5.99 3 topping larges on carry-out for years.

I agree with the poster who suggests throwing an oven into a supermarket. Western chains have yet to embrace much in-store pizza like the eastern chains have.